Sunday, February 9, 2020

Health Benefits of Consuming Turmeric


I live in the Philippines, and I've noticed a boom, since last year, of turmeric tea.

Since I'm Asian, I'm quite familiar with the rhizome family, as we use it for our every day dishes.

Whenever I walk in town, I have this opportunity to drink a tiny, hot cup of it -- a sample -- wherever these vendors may be, whether on the street, or in the main mall.

I like the tangy taste of it, my body instinctively knowing it has many health benefits.

I actually welcome it when my immune system goes down, and my throat gets raspy.

Health Ranger in the U.S. has this to say about turmeric:


Organic turmeric owes much of its antioxidant power and beneficial effects to a group of phytochemical compounds called curcuminoids. A group of naturally occurring phenols, this powerful selection of compounds is what gives the plant's rhizome its distinctive golden-tawny color, as well as its biting flavor.

Phytochemicals aside, turmeric is packed with an impressive source of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients – all of which help support overall health. Among the nutrients in turmeric are vitamins such as vitamin C and B-vitamins, minerals such as calcium, manganese, iron, potassium and zinc, as well as additional phytonutrients.

-- Protects against free radicals and oxidative damage
-- Supports healthy cognitive functions
-- Supports a healthy heart
-- Supports optimal bone and joint health
-- Maintains healthy glowing skin 

For enhanced potency, supplement black pepper along with your turmeric. The piperine in black pepper has a two-fold effect on curcumin. First, it makes it easier for curcumin to pass through your intestinal walls and into your bloodstream. At the same time, it helps slow the breakdown of curcumin in the liver, greatly enhancing and retaining its overall potency when it reaches your bloodstream.

You can find turmeric recipes and an infographic from the Health Ranger site.

You may also want to read a wonderful resource on the role of turmeric from traditional medicine to modern medicine through this link.

Here's to all our strengthened immune systems!